Sunday, June 24, 2018

Dare You Face the Dragon's Challenge?

 Perhaps the most often played game in my collection is Dungeonquest. So, I figured it was time to add something extra.
 This poor chap started his career as a garage sale plastic boardgame dragon, before finding his hoard of gold at the center of T'Siraman's castle. I tried to go for the up-lit, orangy-yellow, from the box art (which BTW, has a lot going on. The dragon appears to have too many tails and not enough arms). Started with a black primer, followed by a nadiral spray of white. I'm still learning what my new airbrush can do, but I think I got the color fades fairly even. Then just a quick drybrush to make the scales pop, painting the tongue, teeth, and eyes, then a couple washes to add some definition. Now that he's painted, I wish I had spent a bit more time cleaning up the mold lines.
 The base was inspired by Spooktalker's excellent Heroes for Dungeonquest. The bright yellow matches the color on most of the dungeon tiles in the game. Then a flocking with gold glitter.
 Now we have a centerpiece to remind us that the dragon will only sleep for so long...

3 comments:

  1. It looks really good. I've never thought of gold glitter to represent a treasure pile. Really effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learned from the Frostgrave forums/groups. Forgot to mention, I gave it a couple washes to dial back the shine. Still has a neat disco ball effect under bright lights.

      Delete
  2. Didn't realize you were a DungeonQuest regular...I've only got two games in so far down in SD. He's pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete